Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Dr. Justin Routhier: Opening up during a free moment

     My name is Justin Routhier and I am a medical intern at the Brockton Hospital.
     My wife and I recently moved to the area from Rhode Island. If you have any questions, please ask and I will try to post answers when I get a free moment (which may be rare, as I am starting on a surgical rotation for the month of August and 14-hour work days are average).
     I agreed to be interviewed by the media so that readers may try to get a sense of what it is truly like to train as a new physician. If you are curious, please drop a line and I'll try my best to respond.
     Be healthy.
      -- Dr. Justin Routhier, resident

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you do if you need to sneeze during surgery - I found it intersting how still you ahve to be holding the cameras? But what if you have to cough or sneeze or something?

Justin Routhier said...

That is an interesting question. And even though my allergies bother me from time to time, I don't recall ever having to sneeze in the operating room. But I suppose if the urge came on, I would politely notify my colleagues that I was about to sneeze, turn away from the sterile field, and let it rip. Keep in mind that we have masks on, so most of the sneeze should be contained.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Routhier I was just wondering if you ever think back to some of your patients, who were difficult and having a hard time? I know you were pretty cool when I was having the shakes with a high fever. I know by you being calm made me feel less anxious.Good luck on your research and your career. Take care, Norm